The resources below are intended to provide an introduction to the IB Program.
What is an IB education
- W-L IB Brochure
- Information session: Parents of full IB seniors
- Information session: Parents of full IB juniors (September)
- W-L IB Acronyms and Vocabulary
Resources from IB
Approaches to teaching and learning
Diploma Program – Research & Studies
- DP students’ enrollment and outcomes at US postsecondary institutions 2008-2014 (2015)
- IB diploma program: Examining college readiness (2014)
- Postsecondary educational attainment of IB diploma program candidates from US high schools (2013)
- Exploring the benefits of the IB extended essay for university studies at the University of Virginia (2013)
- Postsecondary enrollment patterns of IB certificate and diploma candidates from US high schools (2011)
- College acceptance rates based on student survey (2012)
Diploma Program Policies
The links below will direct you to Washington-Lee’s IB program policies. Each policy is reviewed annually by key stakeholders.
- Academic Honesty Policy
- Admissions Policy
- Assessment Policy
- Language Policy
- Special Education Needs Policy
- Simplifying the diploma requirements and failing conditions
Building an IB Diploma Program schedule
International Baccalaureate Course of Studies
|Grade 11||Grade 12|
|Group 1: IB English Literature, IB English Language & Literature, IB Spanish Language and Literature FS||Group 1: IB English Literature, IB English Language & Literature, IB Spanish Language and Literature FS|
|Group 2: IB Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic or Latin||Group 2: IB Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic or Latin|
|Group 3: IB History of the Americas (HOA) or other group 3 elective (NOTE: US History is a Virginia diploma requirement. Students can take HOA, AP US History, or US/Virginia history to fulfill the Virginia diploma requirement)||Group 3: IB Topics in 20th Century World History or group 3 elective|
|Group 4: IB Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Sports Exercise and Health Science, Computer Science or Environmental Systems & Societies (ESS is block of two periods in one year)||Group 4: IB Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Sports, Exercise and Health Science or Computer Science|
|Group 5: IB Math Studies or Mathematics (Precalculus)||Group 5: IB Mathematics (Calculus)|
|Group 6: IB Film, Visual Arts, Theater Arts or Music*||Group 6: IB Film, Visual Arts, Theater Arts or Music*|
|Elective/Generals Period/TOK||Elective/Generals Period/TOK|
|Notes: * or additional group 2-4 elective. Full IB diploma students must take one subject from each subject group. A student may earn a bilingual diploma by taking two group 1 subjects (one in English and one in Spanish). Students may take up to two exams at the end of their junior year. Specific schedules in grades 11 and 12 will reflect each student’s personal options.|
Requirements for the IB diploma schedule:
- 6 IB courses spread out over the groups identified above. They must take
- 3 higher level (HL) courses & 3 standard level (SL) courses, or 4 HL courses and 2 SL courses.
- Virgina diploma requirements (i.e. Economics, US History, US Government)
Resources to assist in creating an IB diploma program schedule for junior and senior years:
IB an introduction to scheduling for sophomore parents Presentation explaining process of creating an IB diploma program schedule.
CREATING THE TWO-YEAR IB DIPLOMA PROGRAM PLAN Explore scheduling options with our Schedule Building Tool.
- Please use this link to access our schedule building tool.
- After clicking the link, you will be prompted to make a copy. Once you make a copy, then you will be able to use the tool.
- Then play around with options to create a schedule that addresses your interests
Registration for IB Exams
- Students who will be taking an IB exam complete registration forms for IB exams in early October.
- This is only for students enrolled in a one-year IB course or the second year of a two-year course.
- Registration is finalized by November 15.
- Schedule changes after November 15 will result in a fee to the student.
- Students seeking accommodations for IB exams must complete the Accommodations Consent Form and return it to the IB Office by November 1.