College Application Process

Students typically begin applying to college in fall of their senior year. Some special programs may have priority deadlines earlier than this, please see your counselor. Transcripts are generally set in early October but individual exceptions can be made if needed earlier.

Click Here for senior year timeline and checklist

Additional College Planning Resources:

WLHS campus visit checklist (English & Spanish)

College Research Guide (English & Spanish)

Rising Senior Summer Checklist (English & Spanish)

In general:

Early deadlines fall October 15th-December and regular decision deadlines are January – February. Please be mindful that some colleges may be priority deadlines for special programs or scholarships that are earlier than the publicked regular decision date.

Early Action: students apply early and find out a result before they leave for winter break.

Early Decision: This is a binding agreement. Only apply ED if you are 110% sure it is the school you want to attend and can afford.

Applying to college:

  1. Through the individual college website
  2. The Common Application
    2. Click here for tutorials
    3. Common Application Requirement Grid
  3. The Coalition Application
    2. Click here for tutorials

Common Questions:

How does my counselor know I am applying to college? Students fill out a transcript request form to give to their counselor a minimum 15 school days before the college deadline. One transcript request form per deadline. Please read carefully and fill out all the questions before giving it to your counselor. Students must also add all the college they are applying to to their Naviance accounts. Click here for an example on how to fill out the transcript request form.

Does it cost anything to send transcripts? $4 per transcript, $2 if you receive free/reduced lunch.

Who sends official test scores from the ACT/SAT? The student

What documents do counselors send to colleges and how? Counselors can send any of the following through Naviance: Transcripts, Secondary school reports, Counselor letter of rec., or Teacher letters of rec. There are a few colleges that still require information to be sent snail mail. If this is your college, please bring in an envelope with the admissions address and 2 stamps.